Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gramma's Fairy Tales

Click on painting to enlarge

This flight of fancy grew from the lovely borrowed Asian figure which transmogrifies into a fairy in a small world farm story (including a fifthteenth century farmer and his chickens). It tells the tale of an aging Grandma who loves to tell stories. She reads to the birds and her neighbors. As an aging grandma, myself, I know the pleasure found in making up and reading stories to my grandchildren. And then, we can all draw pictures and make our own books. What fun!

As for technique, the papers are hand painted and cut pieces--scraps from old books of flora, a snippet of a found-picture of a Japanese country house, scraps of my own ink transfer papers and of course, in the end, lots of over-painting and more layers of collage. This one can be found at  Bainbridge Arts and Crafts as are many of my other pieces. It is due to be shown in July in a small group  exhibit called, Narrative Collage. It is 28 x 33 1/2 inches framed and matted. To see the piece enlarged with details and the accompanying story, go to my web site: www.timbuctooties.com

1 comment:

  1. Donna...I am so glad you are finally a blogger....and now the world can see your creations. Absolutely beautiful work. Keep it up....I'll be eager to see more posts....shane

    ReplyDelete